Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thinking Theologically

To be a theologian sounds like a heavy task. The word itself - theologian – immediately brings all sorts of stodgy images to mind. Truth is, theologians come in all shapes and sizes, all creeds and colors with varying approaches to theology that span whole spectrums of societies. Theologians are a people on a quest – a quest in search of…something – generally meaning – and usually only encountering more questions. Yet the challenge for the theologian is to continue to seek meaning that somehow sheds light on connections and relationships through which we may catch glimpses of God.

This is the essence of theology to me – seeking and finding and failing to find and continuing to seek glimpses of the intricate connections that exist in the world. In the process of observing connections between humans, animals, nature, objects, places, memory, imagination (the list could truly go on and on), we begin to learn, understand, and experience more of God and what it is to be a person living in the midst of so many connections.

So now I have just set forth a very concise definition of theology and right away it must be acknowledged that, of course, this definition is not comprehensive. This definition of theology does not even scratch the surface of the realm of theology as it exists and is used in spiritual, political, and academic ways all over the world. What it does offer is an entry point – an opening through which theological exploration can begin and the beginning is very often one of the most challenging portions of a journey to overcome. Of course there are bumps (and worse) on every road – but getting up the gumption to start travelling on a road is what allows you to have the opportunity to encounter all that will be met along that path – the bumps and the unknown and unexpected scenery and experiences along the way that would never be known if the journey fails to commence.

I have been on a journey of theological inquiry for much of my life, having grown up in a family of theological thinkers and preachers and in a community that strived to live out its theology in everyday ways of life. Pondering the theological implications of almost everything is just about second nature to me – but I still remember being thrown for a loop my first couple of weeks of seminary when all of my professors kept asking us students to think theologically, or respond to this (insert topic of your choosing here) theologically. Over and over I was asked to think and respond theologically and over and over all I could think and respond internally with was – what does that even mean? What on earth does it mean to think about something theologically – let alone respond theologically?

The harder I tried to ‘think theologically’ the less anything made sense – and while this may be the case in some theological conundrums – it is not (or at least should not be) the case for theological thinking at its base level. So I wallowed for a while in my confusion of what this request of my professors could possibly mean – when it finally dawned on me that my question was the answer: thinking and responding theologically simply meant exploring meaning – what does it mean! What are the contextual realities of a situation and what are the implications of that situation in action? With a renewed insight into a more grounded approach theological thinking and responses ensued and continue to this day as I live out my theological quest and strive to find connections and meaning in the world around me.

So now I extend the invitation to you to join the expedition of theological thinking – be not overwhelmed by the stigma of the word theology – instead jump into the process with an open heart and mind and experience the joy, pain, and grace that can be found in the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment